Friday, June 8, 2012

Passing on the love !

One thing I love about American Girl are the lessons they can teach our daughters.  Rather you're learning about Kit and The Great Depression or Addy and the civil war -- or more simply about self esteem or bullying with the dolls of today -- the lessons are all very powerful and extremely educational.  A lot of the AG books talk about being a good person, helping other people and simply making good choices and being kind to those around you.  Anyway, my husband and I were talking about a week ago about what I wanted for my birthday - which is in just a couple weeks.  Adelyn responded, "Mommy, I want you to have your very own doll so we can play together."  So sweet -- and of course, something I just had to do!  Somehow!  But these dolls are very expensive and a new doll for 'me' just wasn't in the budget.  Well, a total stranger, someone I met over the computer heard the story and sent me a message.  She sold me Kit and Emily for next to nothing.  She just wanted to make Adelyn smile.  What this kind woman didn't know is that Kit was the one doll Adelyn has been wanting since we started looking at the magazine ... because she looks the most like Adelyn.  Kit was a must have for our family.  And, Emily ... I've always had a soft spot for Emily because she is best friends w/ Molly --- and Molly is identical to my childhood doll, Erica.  Follow that?  So both of these dolls were meant to be part of our doll family.  I am so thankful to have 'met' such an amazing mom that was willing to part with these two beautiful dolls and add to our 'doll family'.  Adelyn still has not seen the dolls ... it's nap time!  But I am sure I'll be updating with a picture of her reaction.  I can't wait !!!   And Adelyn and I will def. find a way to pass on the love - in our own way.  That is what we do.  Someone does something kind for you, it's your duty to turn around and so something kind for someone else.  That is the lesson I want to teach my daughter, and it's a powerful one and something she will always remember.  Thank you AG and thank you, Dawn!

1 comment:

  1. How wonderful. I am going to make sure to get the books so my daughter and I can read them :)

    ReplyDelete